Wednesday, August 02, 2006

it's for the kids.

Basically, both courts found that marriage is like a box of Trix: It’s for kids.

A very well written article. Howver, no offense to Dan Savage (because I love him), but his subtle use of the gender normative leisure activity (his son loves baseball) makes me laugh a little: it's so sad that same sex parents often feel the need to show that their children end up exactly the same as children from opposite sex families. It becomes a sly PR campaign-- think of how this article would be read differently by the dominant audience if the son was eager to see the ballet. I just hate how all these gay people are running around yelling, "I swear we can socialize him into his binary gender role just the same as if you straight people were raising him!"

Or the kid could just love baseball, no gender scripts involved. This is probably closer to the truth, but it's amazing how many articles I read about same sex parenting where the kids in the background just happen to be engaging in gender normative play. Now is not the time in this civil rights movement to acknowledge any sort of differences in parenting style-- "we're just the same, I swear!" The Goodridges' daughter never wore combat boots in those publicity shots.

Thinking strategically, I know this is fundamentally the way to go. Too few people have interactions with real life same sex families, so articles like the one above fill in the gap and hopefully get the majority on board to this civil rights issue. But as a gender studies major, it gets on my nerves in the meantime.

No comments: